Digital asset management (DAM) and media asset management (MAM) refer to software applications that make it possible to store, prepare and manage different types of digital content, especially media files such as images, videos and text modules.
DAM systems are particularly useful for companies that need to manage a plethora of digital assets in the form of files and publish them on various channels (website, online shop, print catalogue, etc.).
The digital content stored in a cloud-based DAM system can be accessed at all times and from anywhere. Some product information management (PIM) solutions contain integrated DAM functionalities as well. These functionalities help regain an overview of content that is sometimes scattered externally, making it available for efficient use on online and offline channels.
We are happy to advise you on selecting and implementing a suitable DAM system.
»Selecting PIM and DAM Software – Product Information and Digital Asset Management Systems and Providers Compared« White Paper
DAM systems offer numerous benefits. In our white paper, you can learn about the basics and providers in the DACH region. We compare the systems for you and tell you what you should look out for when making your selection.
Do You Need a DAM System?
We have put together a list of questions for you. The more of them you answer with »yes«, the greater the need for a DAM solution.
For further details and insights regarding DAM systems, please do not hesitate to contact us.
- Do you need to organise a large amount of different digital media in numerous versions?
- Are there many stakeholders involved in the process with different requirements for the desired formats?
- Would you benefit from a defined approval and update process for your media?
- Does your company operate in multiple locations and do you need to access the same content from everywhere?
- Does your company use various channels (e.g. online shop, Instagram and LinkedIn) for distributing media?
- Are the rights to use your digital content – such as images and videos – limited to a certain period of time or tied to a specific campaign?
- Should external parties also have access to your media?
- Do you want to speed up your processes?
It Creates a Golden Record
All your media data is centrally available, manual efforts are reduced, duplicates are eliminated and the data quality in your company is enhanced.
It Improves Efficiency and Reduces Costs
You can manage your digital media efficiently and centrally while minimising your manual efforts. Thanks to quick access to your images, videos, etc., you can increase productivity, thereby saving time and reducing costs.
It Facilitates and Improves Teamwork
Duplication of files can be avoided and digital content can be shared more effectively. Your entire team can thus access consistent data sets. Through rights management, access to content is only granted to authorised individuals. This ensures optimised communication and collaboration.
It Strengthens Your Brand Appeal
A DAM system allows you to send consistent messages. Moreover, the media used, such as images and videos, comply with your guidelines.
It Measures the Effectiveness of Your Campaigns
A DAM system makes it possible to create reports and conduct analyses. This allows you to keep an eye on the effectiveness of your campaigns and the use of your digital media.
Digital content cannot just be imported and exported. You can also quickly and easily store, organise and share it.
DAM software gives you control over a wide range of media formats. It enables you to enrich digital assets with information and distribute them in a targeted manner.
DAM software usually has the following features:
- Addition and management of metadata
- Central, simple and smart search for digital assets
- Management of access rights
- Merging of files into collections and folders
- Archiving and versioning of digital assets
- Digital assets can also be made available to external parties (e.g. agencies, publishers and journalists)
- Setting up of automated workflows
- Integration into other tools and applications (e.g. Adobe Creative Suite, CMS and social media)
- Reporting and analysis of digital assets to track their use and deployment
- Artificial intelligence ensures automatic image recognition and intelligent tagging
- Requirements analysis and concept creation
- Development of storage structures
- Creation of authorisation concepts
- Implementation of your DAM system
- Connection to third-party software (ERP solution, CMS, online shop, etc.)
- Workshops and training courses
- Process management and advice on workflow development
What is digital asset management?
Digital assets are media files such as images, videos and audio recordings. These can vary significantly depending on the company and the industry: technical drawings, animations, podcasts, employee profiles, stock images, call recordings or elaborate film productions.
A DAM system organises and manages all these digital assets with their many different file formats. The files can be made directly available based on the intended use and target group.
How much does a DAM system cost?
The prices for DAM software depend on various factors. Your requirements for the system, the size of your company as well as the scope of services and licences are crucial for determining costs. A DAM system can be used as a stand-alone tool, but there are also integrated solutions available as part of PIM or MDM systems.
Some software providers offer free trial versions. Moreover, there are monthly, annual and one-off licencing models.
The options are complex and diverse. We are happy to advise you on selecting a system that meets your requirements. We filter through the different cost models to find the ones that are right for your company.
How can a DAM system be implemented successfully?
The implementation of a DAM system is part of a company's digital transformation. It is an ongoing process that is continuously optimised. This includes, for example, ever-increasing data volumes and complex compliance requirements.
Expertise and vast experience in system selection are essential when implementing DAM software. Furthermore, processes in the company that deal with digital assets are included in the analysis (e.g. data storage, data governance and training of employees).
All relevant aspects should be taken into account so that your company benefits as much as possible from the implementation of a DAM system. At the digital agency dotSource, we have extensive expertise in the implementation of data management systems. We are always happy to advise and support you.